All lease agreements include specific information on what is expected when vacating a property. The following information is taken directly from your lease agreement:
Security Deposit Agreement
Tenant will not consider this security deposit as a deposit towards the last months rent.
Tenant agrees to the following procedures regarding the tenants’ obligations to be secured by the security deposit. In the event that the contractor shall be required to apply the amount of the security deposit to any obligations of the tenant, the tenant will immediately, upon demand, deposit additional funds with the contractor to bring the amount equal to the amount deposited prior thereto. Failure to do so shall, in contractors’ option, be deemed to be cause for termination of lease. Interest will not be paid on tenants’ deposit. Security deposits are refundable after the tenant vacates the premises, providing that the following obligations have been fulfilled:
- That a thirty (30) day written notice is given by tenant to the contractor prior to vacating the premises. If a full thirty (30) notice is not given, tenant is still responsible for all rents and utility expenses to the end of that thirty (30) day period of time.
- That all keys are turned into contractor in person: tenants’ rent does not stop until contractor receives all keys and/or garage door openers.
- Tenant shall NOT change any locks or deadbolts on any door of the premises.
- Contractor has thirty (30) days to return security deposit to tenant after tenant legally vacates premises.
- All utility bills for which tenant is responsible are brought current. If not, agent may deduct these expenses from tenants’ security deposit.
- That there is no damage to the premises other than what is generally referred to as normal wear and tear.
- The unit must be left clean, including the following:A. Only Removable picture hangers are allowed – DO NOT hang anything that requires putting a hole of any kind in/on any surface of the premises, no nail holes of any type.B. All carpets must be vacuumed, then the carpets must be professionally steam cleaned with the carpet cleaner chosen by contractor. A receipt for said cleaning must be presented to contractor with key return.C. Windows washed inside and out.D. Ashes removed from all fireplaces and woodstoves.E. Curtains/Blinds must be in working order with no signs of breakage. Provided window treatments must be free of dust, stains, and dirt. Tenant shall use window treatments provided and shall NOT hang additional window treatments of any type (NO EXCEPTIONS).F. Porches, patios, garage floors and walkways swept and/or hosed off.
G. All pet droppings removed from grounds and premises, pet hair removed from interior.
H. Temporary kennels and fences removed, damaged lawns and shrubs due to pets, children and/or other heavy activity must be replaced.
I. All pet odors removed at tenants’ own expense, including if needed, any necessary deodorizing, any replacing of carpet, carpet pad and floor boards, vinyl flooring, etc, at tenants’ own expense. Any flea/bug extermination at tenants’ expense.
J. Walls left in good condition. DO NOT putty nail holes (especially with toothpaste)!!!!! Finger print and picture outlines washed off. Major painting beyond normal wear and tear will be charged to tenant. Dirt off doors and casings and cupboards.
K. Appliances to be, carefully and without causing damage, moved and cleaned underneath. Stove pans, if stained, should be replaced. Vents above range to be free of dust and grease, inside and out. All appliances must be left clean both inside and out.
L. Operable light bulbs in every socket inside and out. Bugs are to be removed from all globes and light fixtures. Operable light bulbs are to be placed in all appliances. Flood bulbs where intended.
- That tubs, shower stalls, sinks, glass doors and fixtures must be cleaned and scum-free. Mirrors and medicine cabinets washed and toilet bowls and seats cleaned.
- That lawn is raked and mowed, flower beds are weeded and in good appearance. That snow is removed from designated areas assigned to each individual property and lease.
- That all drawers and cupboards be cleaned with no crumbs or remains left inside, ie, hair, food scraps, trash, etc.
- That smoke detectors are operable and with a working battery.
- No outstanding rent charges are due… That all late fees are current along with interest, postage and attorney fees for eviction and non-sufficient check charges.
- That all debris is removed from the apartment, home, garage and basement disposed of in proper containers and removed from premises.
- That there is no maintenance needed; screens needing to be replaced, windows broken, closet doors hanging and working correctly, plumbing and drains operable, doors installed, drawers on rollers, furnace filters replaced, knobs not needing replacing on drawers and doors, broken globes replaced, light bulbs replaced, banisters tightened, etc.
- Utilities such as gas and electricity must be left on.